Are you unsure of what career you want to pursue? Do you want the opportunity to connect with area businesses and learn how current schooling can assist you in preparing to be work-based ready?
We can connect you with an area business to help you gain an overview about what a local career entails. Job shadows typically range from 2-4 hours on one day.
- Job Shadowing Application
- Authorization for Participation
Steps to a Job Shadow:
1. Fill out the application.
a. Download and print the Job Shadow Application. Have your parent or guardian along with your school representative sign the back of the form.
2. Read and sign along with your parent or guardian the Authorization for Participation Form.
3. Scan and email the completed documents to email@example.com or mail to:
Northwest Iowa Community College
Attn: Tracy Gorter - Coordinator of High School Partnerships.
603 West Park Street
Sheldon, IA 51201
4. Upon receipt, an email will be sent to you to confirm the document has been received.
5. Coordinator of High School Partnerships will arrange the job shadowing experience and notify you when this is scheduled.
6. Upon notification of a schedule date:
a. Call Coordinator of High School Partnerships at 712-324-5061, extension 630 to confirm the business, date, and time
b. Plan ahead – know where the business is located
c. Wear appropriate clothing
d. Prepare questions to ask
e. Research information on the business
f. Arrive 10-15 minutes early
7. Enjoy your job shadow!
a. This is your opportunity to explore a field you are interested in pursuing
8. Evaluate your experience
a. Complete an evaluation form. This form will be sent to you via email from the Coordinator of High School Partnerships.
9. Send a Thank-You card
a. Send a thank-you card to your host (the business/industry)