Automotive & Light Duty Diesel Technology

Automotive & Light Duty Diesel Technology General Info

If you want to use your problem solving and technical skills and work with gasoline and light duty diesel vehicles in the automotive industry, this is the right program for you.

As an Automotive and Light Duty Diesel Technology student you will study the vehicle from bumper to bumper and roof to road. This program will prepare you to meet the needs of today’s automotive industry including light duty diesel systems. The program utilizes current industry trends including student laptops with access to service information databases and shop management software widely used in the field. Students also have access to factory and aftermarket diagnostic tools. In this program your time will be spent learning how to diagnose and repair systems in a hands on environment to give you working knowledge of complex automotive and light duty diesel systems. A real world atmosphere will prepare you to enter the workforce with the problem solving skills you will need to be successful. This program will prepare you for employment in automotive dealerships, independent shops, performance shops, fleet facilities, or owning your own business.



  • Associate of Applied Science Degree


  • Four Semesters & Two Summer Term
  • Fall semester entry for full-time students

Student Profile

  • Self-starter
  • Good hand-eye coordination
  • Good reading comprehension
  • Basic science & math skills
  • Good communication skills
  • Computer skills also helpful 

Contact Admissions

Requirements for this program

Course #TitleCredits
AUT106-CIntroduction to Automotive Technology2
AUT605-EBasic Automotive Electrical Systems7
AUT165-EAutomotive Engine Performance I5
ENG105-AComposition 1 OR3
SPC112-APublic Speaking OR3
SPC122-AInterpersonal Communication3
AUT503-EAutomotive Brake Systems3
AUT404-EAutomotive Suspension and Steering4
AUT805-EAutomotive Engine Performance I6
MAT110-AMath for Liberal Arts OR3
MAT102-AIntermediate Algebra OR3
MAT121-ACollege Algebra3
AUT703-EAutomotive Heating/Air Conditioning3
AUT813-EAutomotive Engine Performance II6
AUT846-EAdvanced Automotive Electronics6
CSC110-AIntroduction to Computers3
PHI105-AIntroduction to Ethics OR3
PHI142-AEthics in Business OR3
PSY251-ASocial Psychology3
AUT251-EAutomotive Drive Trains I6
AUT252-EAutomotive Drive Trains II6
AUT867-EIntro to Light Duty Diesel3
SOC110-AIntroduction to Sociology OR3
SOC120-AMarriage and Family3
AUT868-EDiesel Systems Diagnosis & Repairs7
*A cumulative grade point
average of 2.0 is required
to participate in the
internship course.

Frequently Asked Questions

Jobs in the automotive industry are in high demand. Students can get work as
technicians, parts specialists, service writers, service managers, shop owners, and mobile technicians.

Starting technician salaries begin around $12–18 per hour. When technicians refine their skill they can work on a commission base and earn more.

Classes focus about 75% of the time in a hands-on project-based learning environment and the other 25% in the classroom with lecture. In the lab students will learn on real world problems and with leading-edge equipment used by the industry. Students will cover all eight (8) ASE areas and have a summer internship within the two-year program.

This is a one of a kind program focusing on automotive platforms that include gasoline and light duty diesel systems. The program is NATEF certified and all instructors are ASE master certified and have real world experience.

Student Story Aléxandro Vazquez

“I’ve been fascinated with cars since I was 5 or 6 years old.  I loved the Fast and Furious movies. My mom told me to choose a career that would always be around. I heard NCC has a really good Automotive program and the hands-on experience really sold me.”

Automotive student
Sheldon, IA

Diesel Student

Financial Aid

The Financial Aid Office will work with you to reach the goal of attending college. Federal and state programs, scholarships and other funding sources, may be available to help you to afford college. We know there are a lot of questions and stress planning to pay for a college education. The Financial Aid Office staff administers aid programs and counsels students in planning individual methods of meeting college costs. Contact the Financial Aid Office for answers to any questions regarding financial aid. What are you waiting for? Let’s get started! Northwest Iowa Community College follows a nationally accepted philosophy in administering financial aid programs.

Your Instructors

Mark Steinle

Chuck Ball

Jim Gaard

Tuition & Financial Aid