Health Information Technology General Info
If you wish to combine your organizational and analytical skills with your interest in healthcare, a career in Health Information Technology could be for you! As a Health Information Technician, you play a vital role in making our healthcare system work. You perform data collection and analysis needed by doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals.
As a student in the online HIT program, you will learn the necessary skills to become a valued member of the healthcare team. These skills include:
- Maintaining healthcare records consistent with medical, administrative, ethical, legal,
- and regulatory requirements
- Collecting, validating, and analyzing healthcare data
- Assigning code numbers to diagnoses for indexing health data and processing bills
- Answering legal, governmental, and insurance company inquiries
- Supervising human resources for effective and efficient health record processing
- Three out of four students taking the certification exam for the first-time were successful during the latest Annual Program Assessment Report cycle completed 11/15/2017.
- 100% of students in the final professional practice met entry-level competencies as evaluated by Professional Practice Site Supervisors.
- Four graduates responded to the graduate survey with three out of four indicating they are currently employed in health care and one of the four pursuing further education.
THIS PROGRAM QUALIFIES. Iowa needs people like you to fill exciting jobs in growing industries. To help keep Iowa moving forward, you can get free tuition for programs that lead to high-demand jobs and good-paying careers. This is not a needs based scholarship. Earn a one-year or two-year degree—all with free tuition. For a full list of every NCC program that qualifies for the Future Ready Iowa Scholarship – click here.
- Associate of Applied Science Degree
- Four Semesters & One Summer Term (Certificate Option Available)
- Fall semester entry for full-time students
- Part-time students may enter any term; however course prerequisites and corequisites must be followed.
- Detail orientated
- Compliant to laws concerning confidentiality
- Have good reading and English skills
- Have an interest in science, medicine and/or technology
- This program is fully online, however, some courses are available on campus.
Student Story BRANDY JAMES
“I chose NCC, because it had all the things I needed to go back to school and work full-time. The instructors have been very helpful and want you to succeed! I like online learning, because it allows me to work during the day and focus on my classes in the evening.”
Health Information Technology Online student
Requirements for this program
|BIO165-A||Human Anatomy and Physiology I||3|
|BIO167-A||Human Anatomy and Physiology I Lab||1|
|CSC110-A||Introduction to Computers||3|
|HIT271-E||Medical Coding I||3|
|HIT370-C||Health Records in Acute Care||3|
|BIO170-A||Human Anatomy and Physiology II||3|
|BIO172-A||Human Anatomy and Physiology II Lab||1|
|BIO198-E||Introduction to Pathology||3|
|HIT272-E||Medical Coding II||3|
|HIT273-E||Medical Coding III||3|
|HIT380-C||Heath Records in Alternative Care Settings||3|
|HIT594-C||HIT Practicum A||1|
|Elective||General Education (suggest Public Speaking)||3|
|HIT120-E||Pharmacology for HIT||1|
|HIT420-C||Legal Aspects of Health Information||2|
|HIT451-C||Allied Health Statistics||3|
|HIT595-C||HIT Practicum B||1|
|HIT315-C||Electronic Applications for Health Care Data||2|
|HIT541-C||Professional Practice Experience II||3|
|MGT130-A||Principles of Supervision||3|
|HEALTH RECORDS CERTIFICATE||11|
|HIT370-C||Heath Records in Acute Care||3|
|HIT380-C||Helath Records in Alternative Care Settings||3|
|CSC110-A||Introduction to Computers||3|
NOTE: Satisfactory assessment scores and/or prerequisites are required for some courses.
*You must complete MAT106-E Elementary Algebra or any math course with A suffix.
**You may select any humanities/social sciences course with an A suffix.
Frequently Asked Questions
HIT graduates could be a supervisor of a Health Information Management department, Quality Assurance Coordinator, a clinical coder/abstractor, or a medical transcriptionist. Excellent opportunities also exist in research firms, government agencies, pharmaceutical firms, insurance companies, consulting businesses, and telecommuting from your home.
In northwest Iowa the salary range is $21.50 – $34.50/hour.
Classes are a combination of lab, interactive group work, and some lecture. Online classes allow you to complete your degree in Health Information Technology from nearly any location.
This program can be completed online. NCC focuses on the sciences and communication skills. Students have internships and are well prepared to take the Registered Health Information Technician test after completion of the program (NCC grads have almost a 100% pass rate).
The Financial Aid Office will work with you to reach the goal of attending college. Federal and state programs, scholarships and other funding sources, may be available to help you to afford college. We know there are a lot of questions and stress planning to pay for a college education. The Financial Aid Office staff administers aid programs and counsels students in planning individual methods of meeting college costs. Contact the Financial Aid Office for answers to any questions regarding financial aid. What are you waiting for? Let’s get started! Northwest Iowa Community College follows a nationally accepted philosophy in administering financial aid programs.