DIVISION: Adult Education and Literacy
SUPERVISOR: Adult Education and Literacy Coordinator
BASIC FUNCTION: Part-time, up to 24 hours per week. Teaches 1 to 3 classes, which meet for 6 hours per week with additional preparation, lesson planning, and professional development time. Classes are held during the day and in the evenings. Classes are held throughout Northwest Iowa, and mileage to outlying sites is available. Instructors do not need to speak a second language to teach ESL classes. This position is grant funded.
Required – Bachelor’s Degree
Preferred – Teaching experience
DESIRED QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS:
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to explain concepts at a variety of levels.
- Demonstrate professionalism in teaching students.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative on assigned projects.
DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (for each 10-week term):
- Develop lesson plans that are aligned with College and Career Readiness standards (CCRS), 21st Century Skills standards and/or English Language Proficiency (ELP) standards.
- Research, develop and implement learning activities for class.
- Teach one to three – 6 hour a week English as a Second Language (ESL) classes
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Work on assigned projects, such as integrating financial literacy, digital literacy or career readiness skills into the classroom.
- Attend twice monthly AEL meeting (currently over zoom)
- Administer assessments.
- Other duties as assigned.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential job duties/responsibilities and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
WAGE: $19.55 per hour, with compensation for mileage for instruction only. ($0.56 per mile to and from teaching location)
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Applications accepted until the position is filled.
ANTICIPATED EMPLOYMENT DATE: January 2022.