Website Iowa Department of Transportation
Explore your future at the Iowa DOT!
Salary $42,598.40 – $54,995.20 Annually
Location Storm Lake – 50588 – Buena Vista County, IA
Job Type Full-time
Agency 645 Iowa Department of Transportation
Job Number 22-03144
Closing 4/17/2022 11:59 PM Central
Point of Contact Doug Williams, Doug.Williams@iowadot.us
The starting wage for this position is $20.48 an hour / $42,598.40 annually.
Location: Storm Lake Maintenance Garage – Within five (5) months, employees are required to reside within 45 minutes driving time, during normal conditions, from assigned work location.
Shift: 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday, hours may vary and subject to call 24 hours a day during emergency and / or weather conditions.
Iowa DOT’s Mission is Making Lives Better Through Transportation. To accomplish our Mission, the person selected for this position will demonstrate actions and behaviors guided by the Iowa DOT’s five CORE values: Safety First, People Matter, Customer Focused, Servant Leadership, and Integrity Without Exception.
- Works collaboratively with diverse group of people
- Maintains an attitude of determination and dedication
- Displays high standards of ethical conduct
- Treats customers courteously and is responsive to their needs
- Commits to providing a high-quality product and service
- Addresses and listens to others in a respectful manner
Highway Technician Associate responsibility:
- Maintenance activities including repairing guardrail / fences, mowing, cutting brush, disposing of litter and debris, sign repair and installation, pavement repair, roadside waterways, etc.
- Operates equipment/perform physical activities in the maintenance of roadway, roadside, right of way, shoulder, bridge and grading/paving projects
- Completes routine maintenance and service of DOT equipment and vehicles
- Operates computers and applies related software applications
- Responds to roadway emergencies
- Reads and applies Traffic Control Standards to assist motorists
- Works in adverse weather conditions
- Operates snow and ice removal equipment
- May obtain pesticide/herbicide certifications or other certifications needed for construction inspection
- Occasional overnight travel
What we offer YOU:
- Team-oriented, positive work environment
- Opportunities for professional growth and development
- Excellent pay and benefits package including health, dental, flexible spending, and life insurance
- Biweekly vacation accrual and separate sick leave
- Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS) Retirement Package
- Optional 401A plan with employer contributions
- Employee Discount Programs from variety of vendors (vision, cellular, fitness, recreation, season passes, travel, counseling; legal, financial)
Excited to pursue the next step in your career? Apply today!
If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to the following email: email@example.com
Reasonable accommodation such as: interpreter, translator, written materials, modified equipment / devices, ADA access, etc. This does not include scheduling needs.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Applicants must meet at least one of the following minimum requirements to qualify for positions in this job classification:
- Graduation from high school, GED, or equivalency.
- A total of four years of education and/or full-time experience, where one year of high school education equals one year of full-time work in highway maintenance or equipment operation.
For additional information, please click on this link to view the job description. (Download PDF reader)
Additional Qualification Requirements
- Positions in this class require possession of a valid Commercial Learner’s Permit upon hire. Within a timeframe determined by the appointing authority, a valid Commercial Driver’s License with the required endorsements and applicable restrictions must be obtained and subsequently maintained to continue employment.
- In conjunction with Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (parts 40 and 382), this job requires a pre-employment drug screen and will require ongoing participation in the employer’s random drug and alcohol testing program and will be subject to the regulations regarding the Federal drug and alcohol testing program.
- Prior to starting employment, all persons are required to have a post offer, pre-employment physical verifying the physical ability to perform the duties described.
- Within a period of time after hire, as determined by the appointing authority, employees in this class may be required to obtain and maintain Herbicide Applicator certification from the Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship.
- Positions require certification for testing materials and operating specialized equipment as required by the Iowa Department of Transportation’s Technical Training and Certification Program for Highway Materials and Construction; and/or other certifications as required.
- Travel, including overnight travel, may be required for positions in this class. Employees must arrange transportation to and from assigned work areas.
- Within a timeframe determined by the appointing authority, employees in designated positions are required to reside within a defined driving time, during normal conditions, from the assigned work location.
- Employees must respond to emergency situations as required.
- Employees must be able to work up to 16 consecutive hours.