DIVISION: Student and Academic Services
SUPERVISOR: Director of the Academic Center and Library Services
BASIC FUNCTION: To provide instruction and coordinate necessary support services for the effective operation of the alternative high school. This is an hourly position, nine months (August-May). The individual will work 20 hours per week Monday – Friday 1:00 p.m. -5:00 p.m.
Required – Bachelor’s degree
Iowa Secondary Teaching License
Knowledge of current software applications
Preferred – Degree in a general education area; endorsement in language arts; three years of teaching experience; experience in an alternative setting; and bilingual in English and Spanish languages
Copies of all academic transcripts are required. Unofficial copies are acceptable at the time of application. Upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment, a complete set of original transcripts will be required.
DESIRED QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS:
1. Good communication and math skills
2. Ability to explain concepts at a variety of levels.
3. Ability to work independently.
4. Provide supervision.
5. Demonstrate professionalism in dealing with students.
1. Provide high school instruction in variety of academic areas on an individualized, small group or large group basis as needed.
2. Develop curriculum and write tests as needed.
3. Communicate program expectations to students through activities such as orientation and student handbook.
4. Serve as a communication link to the student, the high school, the parent, or the social service agency as appropriate.
5. Work with other NCC staff and local high school staff to address individual needs and establish individual plans of study.
6. Administer, score, and interpret various assessments.
7. Be responsible for daily record keeping.
8. Issue grades.
9. Assist in the supervision and documentation of supplemental activities, such as childcare, transportation, and meal reimbursement.
10. Participate in the formation and implementation of philosophies, policies, and procedures for the alternative high school.
11. Responsible for credit recovery, including record keeping and communicating with high schools.
12. Assist in the Academic Center as directed.
13. Serve on committees as appropriate.
Northwest Iowa Community College
Part-Time Alternative High School Instructor Job Description, Page 2
14. Assist in the setup, organization, and oversight of the new Sioux Center location.
15. Any other duties as assigned.
WAGE/SALARY RANGE: $18.00 – $24.00 per hour
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Applications accepted until the position is filled.
ANTICIPATED EMPLOYMENT DATE: September 2022.