DIVISION: Student and Academic Services
BASIC FUNCTION: To provide instruction and coordinate necessary support services for the effective operation of the alternative high school. This is an hourly position, nine months. The individual will work up to 28 hours per week (August–May).
Required – Bachelor’s degree with Iowa Secondary Teaching Certificate and knowledge of current software applications.
Preferred – Degree in a general education area; endorsement in language arts; three years of teaching experience; experience in an alternative setting; and bilingual in English and Spanish languages.
Copies of all academic transcripts are required. Unofficial copies are acceptable at the time of application. Upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment, a complete set of original transcripts will be required.
DESIRED QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS:
- Good communication and math skills
- Ability to explain concepts at a variety of levels.
- Ability to work independently.
- Provide supervision.
- Demonstrate professionalism in dealing with students.
- Provide high school instruction in variety of academic areas on an individualized, small group or large group basis as needed.
- Develop curriculum and write tests as needed.
- Communicate to students, program expectations through activities such as orientation and student handbook.
- Serve as a communication link to the student, the high school, the parent, or the social service agency as appropriate.
- Work with other NCC staff and local high school staff to address individual needs and establish individual plans of study.
- Administer, score, and interpret various assessments.
- Be responsible for daily record keeping.
- Issue grades.
- Assist in the supervision and documentation of supplemental activities, such as childcare, transportation, and meal reimbursement.
- Participate in the formation and implementation of philosophies, policies, and procedures for the alternative high school.
- Responsible for credit recovery, as needed.
- Serve on committees as appropriate.
- Any other duties that may be assigned.
WAGE/SALARY RANGE: $18.00 to $21.00 per hour.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Applications accepted until the position is filled.
ANTICIPATED EMPLOYMENT DATE: Summer 2022.