process for applying for tuition assistance
1. If you are an actively drilling member of the Army National Guard or US Army Reserves and have served at least 12 months after the graduation from your initial entry training (IET – Basic Training and AIT) you may be eligible to apply for and receive Federal Tuition Assistance.
A. The deadline to apply for FTA is the start date of the course(s). You must apply for FTA each semester because the application is specific to the courses you are registered for.
B. Steps for FTA
• Go to www.goarmyed.com
• Upload the required documents
—Statement of Understanding signed by you and commander
—Degree Plan (from Registrar’s Office)
—Class Schedule (from WebAdvisor)
—Cost Verification/Detailed Bill (from Business Office)
• Submit application
— Receive two emails, one indicating application received and one indicating application is approved.
— Print approved authorizations and provide to the Business Office. This authorization needs to be finalized and submitted to the Business Office prior to the term start date.
additional requirements related to obtaining credentials in a given field
Certain programs have additional requirements to earn credentials in a given field. Examples include Practical Nursing, Radiology and Health Information Technology.
Please contact your Program Advisor regarding how NCC credits will transfer to other institutions.
Accounting/ Clerical Accounting
Associate Degree Nursing
Associate of Arts
Business – Diploma, AAS, AA
Computer and Network Security-AA
Extended Associate Degree Nursing
Extended Practical Nursing
Health Information Technology
Health Care Management
Web & Graphic Design
Wellness Management/Pre Pro Sports and PF
Automotive and Light Duty Diesel/AS diploma
Industrial & Commercial Wiring
Industrial Instrumentation & Control
readmission of service members
Northwest Iowa Community College will promptly readmit a service member with the same academic status as he/she had when last attending the school or accepted for admission to the school. This requirement applies to any student who cannot attend due to military service. See definitions below:
Military Service — service, whether voluntary or involuntary, in the armed forces, including service by a member of the National Guard or Reserve on active duty, active duty for training or full time National Guard duty under federal authority for a period of more than 30 consecutive days under a call or order to active duty of more than 30 consecutive days. This does not include National Guard service under state authority.
Service Member — someone who is a member of, applies to be a member of, performs, has performed, applies to perform or has an obligation to perform service in the uniformed services on the basis of that membership, application for membership, performance of service, application for service or obligation to perform service.
The student must notify the school of his/her military service and intention to return to school as follows:
1. The student must notify the Director of Enrollment the notification of service and notification of intent to return.
2. The student must give oral or written notice of such service to the school as far in advance as is reasonable under the circumstances.
3. The student must also give oral or written notice of his/her intent to return to the school within 3 years after the completed of the period of service.
Northwest Iowa Community College will admit the student with the same academic status, which means:
1. To the same program to which the student was last admitted or if the program is no longer offered, a program that is comparable to that program unless he/she chooses a different program.
2. At the same enrollment status, unless the student is readmitted to a different program or unless the students wants to enroll at a different enrollment status.
3. Same number of credit hours unless the student is readmitted to a different program.
4. With the same academic standing the student previously had unless the student is readmitted to a different program.
Veterans Educational Benefits
The Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (Chapter 30), the Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606), the Reserve Educational Assistance Program – REAP (Chapter 1607), Veterans Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation Program (Chapter 31), Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), Veterans Education Assistance Program—VEAP, and Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35) provide educational benefits for veterans attending NCC. Information concerning veterans’ educational benefits and applications may be obtained from the Registrar.
Iowa National Guard Educational Assistance Grant
This grant provides awards to Iowa National Guard members. The amount of benefit awarded is based on the the state's annual appropriations. Maximum individual awards cannot exceed the current average tuition rate at Iowa Regent Universities. Eligibility is determined by the Iowa Adjutant General and a new application must be completed each year prior to July 1 for the fall term and December 1 for the spring term.
Students must complete the online Iowa Financial Aid Application or contact the Iowa National Guard Headquarters.
Eligibility requirements include:
- Iowa resident
- Member of an Iowa Army or Air National Guard unit for each term the member receives benefits
- Satisfactorily complete required Guard training
- Maintain satisfactory performance of Guard duty
- Pursue a certificate or undergraduate degree at an eligible Iowa college or university (students with BA degrees are not eligible to participate even if pursuing a second BA degree) and maintain satisfactory academic progress
- Note: A qualified individual cannot receive an NGEAP award for more than 120 semester credit hours or the equivalent
Important Phone Numbers
- Veterans Affairs (VA) general information: 888-442-4551, St. Louis RPO
- Monthly Verification
- Verify on WAVE OR call 877-823-2378
- NOTE: Chapters 35 and 31 do not have to call in monthly verifications
- Iowa National Guard
- State Education Officer: 515-252-4564
US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
Tuition Assistance Applications
- State Tuition Assistance
- Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) – Before submitting tuition requests for approval please contact the Business Office at NCC to be sure the tuition and fees calculations are correct for timely processing.
- State of Iowa Veterans Affairs
NOTE: Active duty military personnel and military service veterans attending a Northwest Iowa Community College, as well as their spouses and dependent children, are considered to be Iowa resident for admission, tuition and fee purposes. For further information, please contact the Registrar at 1-800-352-4907.