Veterans Services

Veterans Educational Benefits

The Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (Chapter 30), the Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606), the Reserve Educational Assistance Program – REAP (Chapter 1607), Veterans Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation Program (Chapter 31), Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), Veterans Education Assistance Program—VEAP, and Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35) provide educational benefits for veterans attending NCC. Information concerning veterans’ educational benefits and applications may be obtained from the Registrar.

Iowa National Guard Educational Assistance Grant

This grant provides awards to Iowa National Guard members. The amount of benefit awarded is based on the the state’s annual appropriations. Maximum individual awards cannot exceed the current average tuition rate at Iowa Regent Universities. Eligibility is determined by the Iowa Adjutant General and a new application must be completed each year prior to July 1 for the fall term and December 1 for the spring term. 

Students must complete the online Iowa Financial Aid Application or contact the Iowa National Guard Headquarters.

Eligibility requirements include:

  • Iowa resident
  • Member of an Iowa Army or Air National Guard unit for each term the member receives benefits
  • Satisfactorily complete required Guard training
  • Maintain satisfactory performance of Guard duty
  • Pursue a certificate or undergraduate degree at an eligible Iowa college or university (students with BA degrees are not eligible to participate even if pursuing a second BA degree) and maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Note: A qualified individual cannot receive an NGEAP award for more than 120 semester credit hours or the equivalent

Important Phone Numbers

  • Veterans Affairs (VA) general information: 888-442-4551, St. Louis RPO
  • Monthly Verification
    • Verify on WAVE  OR call 877-823-2378
    • NOTE: Chapters 35 and 31 do not have to call in monthly verifications
  • Iowa National Guard
    • State Education Officer: 515-252-4564

Online Resources

US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

Tuition Assistance Applications

NOTE: Active duty military personnel and military service veterans attending a Northwest Iowa Community College, as well as their spouses and dependent children, are considered to be Iowa resident for admission, tuition and fee purposes. For further information, please contact the Registrar at 1-800-352-4907.

Tuition & Financial Aid