process for applying for tuition assistance
1. If you are an actively drilling member of the Army National Guard or US Army Reserves and have served at least 12 months after the graduation from your initial entry training (IET – Basic Training and AIT) you may be eligible to apply for and receive Federal Tuition Assistance.
A. The deadline to apply for FTA is the start date of the course(s). You must apply for FTA each semester because the application is specific to the courses you are registered for.
B. Steps for FTA
• Students are directed to receive approval from the student’s ESO, military counselor or Service.
• Go to armyignited.com
• Upload the required documents
— Statement of Understanding signed by you and commander
— Degree Plan (from Registrar’s Office)
— Class Schedule (from WebAdvisor)
— Cost Verification/Detailed Bill (from Business Office)
• Submit application
— Receive two emails, one indicating application received and one indicating application is approved.
— Print approved authorizations and provide to the Business Office. This authorization needs to be finalized and submitted to the Business Office prior to the term start date.
Additional requirements related to obtaining credentials in a given field
Certain programs have additional requirements to earn credentials in a given field. Examples include Practical Nursing, Radiology and Health Information Technology.
Associate Degree Nursing | Associate Degree Nursing—Extended
Practical Nursing | Practical Nursing—Extended
Please contact your Program Advisor regarding how NCC credits will transfer to other institutions.
Advisors – AA, Business, Health, & High School
|Accounting/ Clerical Accounting||Dan Cline||Karinne O’Ram|
|Associate Degree Nursing||Tracy Gorter||Tracy Gorter|
|Associate of Arts||Sarah Breems-Diekevers|
|Business – Diploma, AAS, AA||Dan Cline||Karinne O’Ram|
|Extended Associate Degree Nursing||Tracy Gorter||Tracy Gorter|
|Extended Practical Nursing||Tracy Gorter||Tracy Gorter|
|Health Information Technology||Dan Cline||Karinne O’Ram|
|High School||Sarah Breems-Diekevers||Karinne O’Ram|
|Information Technology Specialist – Diploma/AAS||Dan Cline||Karinne O’Ram|
|Medical Coding||Dan Cline||Karinne O’Ram|
|Pharmacy Technician||Greta Giese||Karinne O’Ram|
|Practical Nursing||Tracy Gorter||Tracy Gorter|
|Pre-Practical Nursing||Sonya Newkirk||Karinne O’Ram|
|Transfer Programs – on campus||Sarah Breems-Diekevers||Mariah Oliver|
|Transfer Programs – online||Dan Cline||Dan Cline|
|Radiologic Technology||Lisa Story||Karinne O’Ram|
|Pre-Radiologic Technology||Lisa Story||Karinne O’Ram|
|Web & Graphic Design Diploma/AAS||Karinne O’Ram||Karinne O’Ram|
|Virtual Administrative Management||Dan Cline||Karinne O’Ram|
Advisors – Applied Technology
|Agriculture||Dan Cline||Karinne O’Ram|
|Automotive & Light Duty Diesel – AS||Beth Sibenaller-Woodall||Karinne O’Ram|
|Diesel Technology||Beth Sibenaller-Woodall||Karinne O’Ram|
|Electrical Technology||Paula Meyer||Karinne O’Ram|
|Allie Unrau||Karinne O’Ram|
|Heavy Equipment & Maintenance||Beth Sibenaller-Woodall||Karinne O’Ram|
|Industrial & Commercial Wiring||Paula Meyer||Karinne O’Ram|
|Industrial Instrumentation & Control||Tara Fjeld||Karinne O’Ram|
|Jena Schouten||Karinne O’Ram|
Advanced Welding Tech
|Allie Unrau||Karinne O’Ram|
readmission of service members
Northwest Iowa Community College will promptly readmit a service member with the same academic status as he/she had when last attending the school or accepted for admission to the school. This requirement applies to any student who cannot attend due to military service. See definitions below:
Military Service — service, whether voluntary or involuntary, in the armed forces, including service by a member of the National Guard or Reserve on active duty, active duty for training or full time National Guard duty under federal authority for a period of more than 30 consecutive days under a call or order to active duty of more than 30 consecutive days. This does not include National Guard service under state authority.
Service Member — someone who is a member of, applies to be a member of, performs, has performed, applies to perform or has an obligation to perform service in the uniformed services on the basis of that membership, application for membership, performance of service, application for service or obligation to perform service.
The student must notify the school of his/her military service and intention to return to school as follows:
1. The student must notify the Director of Enrollment the notification of service and notification of intent to return.
2. The student must give oral or written notice of such service to the school as far in advance as is reasonable under the circumstances.
3. The student must also give oral or written notice of his/her intent to return to the school within 3 years after the completed of the period of service.
Northwest Iowa Community College will admit the student with the same academic status, which means:
1. To the same program to which the student was last admitted or if the program is no longer offered, a program that is comparable to that program unless he/she chooses a different program.
2. At the same enrollment status, unless the student is readmitted to a different program or unless the students wants to enroll at a different enrollment status.
3. Same number of credit hours unless the student is readmitted to a different program.
4. With the same academic standing the student previously had unless the student is readmitted to a different program.
veterans educational benefits
The Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (Chapter 30), the Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606), the Reserve Educational Assistance Program – REAP (Chapter 1607), Veterans Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation Program (Chapter 31), Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Veterans Education Assistance Program—VEAP, and Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35) provide educational benefits for veterans attending NCC. Information concerning veterans’ educational benefits and applications may be obtained from the Registrar.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Iowa National Guard Service Scholarship
This grant provides awards to Iowa National Guard members. The amount of benefit awarded is based on the the state’s annual appropriations. Maximum individual awards cannot exceed the current average tuition rate at Iowa Regent Universities. Eligibility is determined by the Iowa Adjutant General and a new application must be completed each year prior to July 1 for the fall term and December 1 for the spring term.
Students must complete the online Iowa Financial Aid Application or contact the Iowa National Guard Headquarters.
Eligibility requirements include:
- Iowa resident
- Member of an Iowa Army or Air National Guard unit for each term the member receives benefits
- Satisfactorily complete required Guard training
- Maintain satisfactory performance of Guard duty
- Pursue a certificate or undergraduate degree at an eligible Iowa college or university (students with BA degrees are not eligible to participate even if pursuing a second BA degree) and maintain satisfactory academic progress
- Note: A qualified individual cannot receive an INGSS award for more than 120 semester credit hours or the equivalent
Important Phone Numbers
- Veterans Affairs (VA) general information: 888-442-4551, St. Louis RPO
- Monthly Verification
- Verify on WAVE OR call 877-823-2378
- NOTE: Chapters 35 and 31 do not have to call in monthly verifications
- Iowa National Guard
- State Education Officer: 515-252-4564
US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
Tuition Assistance Applications
- State Tuition Assistance
- Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) – Before submitting tuition requests for approval please contact the Business Office at NCC to be sure the tuition and fees calculations are correct for timely processing.
- State of Iowa Veterans Affairs
NOTE: Active duty military personnel and military service veterans attending a Northwest Iowa Community College, as well as their spouses and dependent children, are considered to be Iowa resident for admission, tuition and fee purposes. For further information, please contact the Registrar at 1-800-352-4907.
Tuition & FEES 2022-2023
(MN, NE, SD)
|Per Semester Credit||$194||$199||$204|
|Online Per Semester Credit||$208||$208||$208|
|Student Fee (per credit)||$10|
|Technology Fee (per credit)||$8|
|Graduation Fee (per diploma)||$40|
|FEES PER CREDIT BY COURSE PREFIX|
|* Fees are applicable for all credits for which students are registered.|
|AWS Sense Fee: (W.Dip, PW.CER) Fall Semester Only||$20|
|Background Check FEE: Practical Nursing & Extended Practical Nursing||$65|
|CDL Fee: HEQ172, PWL170, DSL810 (HE.AAS, PL.DIP, TD.AAS)||$185|
|Ceramics Fee: ART163 & ART173 (per credit)||$14|
|Credit for Prior Learning||$200|
|Drug Testing Fee: Diesel Technology, Heavy Equipment, & Powerline Students (non-refundable) |
|Per Summer Term||$25|
|EMT (tuition & fees)||$1950|
|Nursing Fee: (ATI) each semester (PN.DIP, EPN.DIP, ADN.AAS, EADN.AAS)||$462-$694|
|OSHA Fee: MFG185 (ED.CER, ED.DIP, C.DIP, CMT.AAS, PW.CER, W.DIP)||$50|
|Rad Tech Boot Camp: RAD322||$190|
|Rad Tech Fee: RAD206||$173|
|Tool Deposit: (ALDD.AAS, TD.AAS) first 5 semesters||$350|
|SKILLS Fee: (ALDD.AAS, AS.DIP, AWT.AAS, CMT.AAS, ED.DIP, TD.AAS, W.DIP) |
Fall & Spring Semester
Section 103 of the Veterans Benefits & Transition Act of 2018
Northwest Iowa Community College will not impose any penalty including the assessment of late fees, denial of access to classes, libraries or other institutional facilities and/or the requirements that a Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 recipient borrow additional funds to cover the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement of a payment by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.