Learning Center

To help with your educational goals, the Learning Center provides a variety of services. Free tutoring is available to you in most program content areas. Tutoring is done on a “drop in” basis, in small groups or one-to-one.

If you are a current or prospective student, enhancement (developmental) courses are available to help improve your skills in specific areas. For additional information on enhancement courses, contact the Student Support Coordinator.

The Academic Center Director is the Accommodations Coordinator. If you are a student with special needs, see the Academic Center Director in the library in advance for accommodations.

The Learning Center also serves as a Testing Center. All testers are required to provide a picture ID before testing. Tests are proctored for NCC courses taken online or on-campus, assessment tests, CLEP tests, as well as certification tests. Talk to the Learning Center personnel to schedule testing time slots. Proctoring for other colleges can be arranged by request. There is no charge for proctoring Iowa community college tests, but a semester fee is charged for proctoring out of state or 4-year college tests.

A computer lab and calculators are available in the Learning Center for your use at no charge. Software and videos for review of basic skills and tutorial work are also available.

Study rooms are available for individual or small groups needing a quiet work area.

The Learning Center also provides instruction for the high school credit recovery program.

High School Completion

Northwest Iowa Community College has various programs available to assist you if you wish to complete your high school education. Options include earning a HSED Diploma, or a local high school diploma through the completion of NCC high school credits. For additional information, contact the HSED Specialist at aotto@nwicc.edu about the HSED Diploma or the Director of the Academic Center about high school credits.

High School Equivalency—HSED Diploma

The Adult Education & Literacy Program at NCC provides adults with instructional opportunities to improve their basic skill levels for education or work related goals. Included within Adult Education & Literacy is instruction to prepare for the HSED tests. Upon successful completion of the HSED tests, you will be awarded the High School Equivalency Diploma issued by the State of Iowa. This diploma certifies that you have achieved a level of educational development comparable to that of a high school graduate in the following subject areas: reading, writing, science, social studies and mathematics.

In order to enroll in the Adult Education & Literacy Program to earn your HSED Diploma, an individual must be 17 years of age, not currently enrolled in high school and not a high school graduate. In order to begin the official HSED tests, a student must be 17 years of age and must demonstrate sufficient skill mastery in each subject area. The HSED tests are available in English, Spanish, and in alternate formats for individuals with documented disabilities.

High School Credits

High school credits earned through NCC will be applied to or transferred to the local high school district to meet its graduation requirements.


Personal Finance
Introduction to Business
Computer Applications*


Basic Math
General Math
Consumer Math
Business Math
Algebra I
Algebra II

Social Studies

Introduction to Social Sciences
World History
American History
U.S. Geography
World Geography
Street Law
Integrated American Studies***


75-hour Nurse Aide Course
EMT-B course (2 credits)
World of Work
Work Experience***
Medication Aide

Fine Arts

Art History*
Introduction to Art*


English 2200
Introduction to Literature
Reading Improvement
English 2600
Independent Reading
Intermediate Literature
Introduction to Communications and Speech*
English 3200
American Writers
Basic Composition
Writing Through Computer Applications
British Literature*


General Science
Physical Science**
Environmental Science*
Earth Science*

Family and Consumer Sciences

Nutrition & Wellness
Family Living
Child Development
Community Service*
Life Skills
Teen Parenting
Teen Dads
Life Experiences I***
Life Experiences II***

*Classes delivered online
**Offered both book or online
***Offered only in Alternative High School

Northwest Iowa Alternative High School

The Northwest Iowa Alternative High School is a cooperative program between local community school districts and NCC. To be admitted to the Alternative High School, you must be referred by your local school district. This program is intended for individuals not in regular attendance at their local high school. Contact the Director of the Academic Center for additional information.

Enhancement (Developmental) Courses

To assist you in your college career, NCC offers enhancement courses. Enhancement courses are designed to provide support to help you succeed in college level courses. You may be required to enroll in enhancement courses before beginning your college coursework.

Credit from enhancement courses is not transferable, does not count toward your grade point average, and does not meet graduation credit requirements for diploma or degree programs. The current per credit tuition and fees apply to courses. These courses can be included in the calculation of your course load.

Enhancement courses are offered on an individual basis in a self-paced, open-entry format through the Learning Center. You must register for these courses in Student Services.

Specific courses include:

Catalog #    Course Title            Credits
MAT044-H    Mastery Math             1

English Composition
ENG014-H    Mastery Writing          1

Special Needs/Accommodations

Student Accessibility Statement

Northwest Iowa Community College believes that disability is a naturally occurring aspect of humanity’s diversity and is an integral part of society and the college. Northwest Iowa Community College believes in working collaboratively with students, faculty, and staff to provide accessible and equal opportunities for all students. Students with disabilities are encouraged to connect with the Student Accessibility Services Office to begin the individualized process of determining reasonable accommodations. For further information, contact the Student Accessibility Services Coordinator, Renee Franklin, at 712-324-5061 ext. 116 or disabilityserv@nwicc.edu. Forms and additional information are available here. Any student who believes he/she may have been unlawfully denied accommodations may report a violation to the college pursuant to the Discriminatory Harassment and Accommodations Complaint Procedures policy. The College prohibits retaliation for requesting or using disability accommodations and NCC will impose consequences up to and including termination of employment of any instructor/professor who engages in retaliation.

Services for Students with Disabilities

In accordance with the America Disabilities Act & the Vocational Rehabilitation Act, Northwest Iowa Community College is committed to providing an accessible environment which supports students with disabilities to reach their full potential. Accommodations are available for students who have visual, hearing, mobility, learning or other types of disabilities to insure equal access to educational opportunities. NCC employs an Accommodations Coordinator to work with students to develop and coordinate services based on individual student need. If you are a student with a disability, who requires reasonable accommodations to participate at NCC, follow the steps listed below:

1. Contact the Accommodations Coordinator at 800-352-4907, ext. 116 or disabilityserv@nwicc.edu for more information or to submit an application. Information and applications can also be accessed through the College website.

2. Submit the completed application and supporting documentation to in person, online, or via mail to: Northwest Iowa Community College, 603 West Park Street, Sheldon, IA 51201, Attn: Accommodations Coordinator. An application is required each semester.

3. Schedule a time to meet with the Accommodations Coordinator to discuss coordination of these services.

4. Contact the Accommodations Coordinator with any questions during the process.

Service Animals & Assistance Animals on Campus

The College prohibits the presence of animals on campus, with the exception of animals used for academic purposes (e.g., laboratory and instructional use), service animals, and assistance animals (limited to campus housing only and with prior approval). Assistance animals may be identified by other names such as companion animals, therapy animals, and emotional support animals. Approval of the presence of assistance animals must be obtained by the student before such animals are allowed on the campus.
Northwest Iowa Community College students with service animals and assistance animals are encouraged to contact Renee Franklin, Accommodations Coordinator, to begin the steps to obtain accommodations (see Services for Students with Disabilities above).

Veterans Educational Benefits

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33), the Montgomery GI Bill—Active Duty (Chapter 30), the Montgomery GI Bill—Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606), the Reserve Educational Assistance Program—REAP (Chapter 1607), Veterans Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation Program (Chapter 31), Veterans Education Assistance Program—VEAP, and Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35) provide educational benefits for veterans attending NCC. Information concerning veterans’ educational benefits and applications may be obtained from NCC’s Registrar.

Transition Act of 2018 – NCC will not impose or penalize including 1) assessment of late fees, 2) denial of access to classes, 3) libraries or other institutional facilities and/or, 4) the requirement that a Ch 31 or 33 recipient borrow additional funds to cover the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to institution due to the delayed disbursement of a payment by the U.S. Dept of Veterans Affairs. (Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018).

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.